Pages

Monday, March 28, 2011

Ethos, Pathos, and Logos in Our Lives


Towards the end of last week, we were looking more in depth into the foundations of public speaking. We discovered and studied the new concepts of the words:

  • Ethos – the self, establish credibility, establish strong character, community, trust

  • Pathos – evokes emotions: happiness, fear, sadness, anger, “coolness,” etc.

  • Logos - based on logic and reasoning, statistics, things that “make sense”

Your Task Today: Over the weekend, your homework was to identify and be able to discuss ethos, pathos, and logos’ role in your life. For today’s blog entry, you are going to explain how these three rhetorical appeals impact you.


What to Include:



  • The Title/Description of Something with Ethos, Pathos, and/or Logos

  • The Medium in which this was displayed (TV Commercial, Speech, Billboard, etc.)

  • An Explanation of how Ethos, Pathos, and Logos were present

  • An Explanation of how Ethos, Pathos, and Logos impacted this thing

Rubric Proficient – analysis is a minimum of 10 sentences, provides an in-depth look into the significance of ethos, pathos, and logos, provides clear and logical examples, is well-written Non-Proficient – less than 10 sentences, does not provide in-depth look into significance, examples are unclear or illogical

18 comments:

Nyasia Marie' said...

The sundrop commercial is a ethos and pathos. This was a commercial on tv that i saw late at night. Ethos was presented because in the commercial they had all differentraces and backgrounds which shows a sense of community. It shows pathos because the way the girl is dancing it makes you want t laugh. Ethos impacted it because everyone likes it now. Pathos impacted it because now everyone laughs and talks about it.

Eileen R. said...

Im using my life expiernces to prove my understanding of ethos, pathos, and logos.
I use Logos in school when i have to explain my anwser in a math problem. I have to explain my anwser so i can prove i understand the problem. Logos impacted this because with out using logos then my teacher wouldnt beileve that i understood the lesson. I use Ethos when im trying to find a job, interviews or filling out job applications. I have to establish my character to the employer so that they can decided if they can trust me to work for them. Ethos impacted these events since f i didnt estavlish credit and trust with the employer, they probally wouldnt consider hiring me. I use pathos at home if i get in trouble. I use pathos because if i act like im sad my dad will feel bad. Pathos impacts it because ill get out of trouble faster.

jasmine upshaw said...

pathos=one day my bestfriend got mad at me and it made me said because it was my fault.i called this pathos because it has to do with emotion. i started to cry and beg for forgiveness.i told one of her deepest serect.this can also be ethos because it has to do with trust.she trusted me to not tell her serect.

Klarika (: said...

Over the weekend I was having a conversation with my mom. And while the conversation was still going I i realized i use Ethos, Pathos and Logos alot. For example, we where having a conversation about getting my bellyy button pierced. I said "mom please this would be a life changing experence, do you want me to be the only child without a ring through her stomach???" This would be Pathos and Logos. I say this is Pathos because it deals with emotions it will make my mother feel bad if I dont get this piercing. It is also Logos because it is based on reasoning, and statistic.
Another example can be if you get in touble at school. Your sent down to the office and you didnt do it but they accused you of doing it. Then they say "trust me I was in high school too just own up to it, I was in your shoes in one point things are tempting." This would be Ethos, reason being because they are saying trust me I know how you feel when maybe in reality they really dont know how you feel. Also Pathos because if youre telling the truth and someone doesnt believe you that could hurt you or make you super duper mad because you could really be tellingg the truth and someone can think your lien.

Isaiah (6thespada) Johnson said...

The state farm comericial with the three friends sitting in the living room is pathos and ethos.This is ethos becuase state farm shows that you can trust them.It is pathos becuase the comercial is funny.The comercial has seriousness with comedy.Ethos and pathos are clearly present in this comericial.
These elements make people want to get state farm.The comercial makes it seem like they can fix anything.They are trying to persuade you.I think their methods work.State farm has alot of members.

carlos said...

title: Geico commercial

"Geico can save 15% more on car ensurance". this commercial use Logos because it has statistics and facts.It logos because it says "Geico can save you 15% or more on car ensurance" 15% thats a fact.
its also uses Ethos because it helps the community by having them save money.this is also Pathos because its emotions it makes people happy to save 15% on car ensurance.

Brandon (dollerboyz*) said...

The sprite with DRAKE commercial ethos and pathos, This was a commercial that i saw on t.v in the morning when i was watching a basketball game, i would say pathos, because his whole face falls apart when he drinks it and people says he looks like a monkey, Ethos, inpacted because some people like it and some people just was looking at it, and i would really say idk to this like whats the whole ponit of this it makes him fall apart

steve b said...

dirtbike weekend.

Well before the weekend on wed. me and my gmom went and got a new tire for my dirtbike.On friday me an my friend joe tried to put it ond my bike,it was real hard. when we finaly got it on we tried to pump it up and then realized we poped the tube. so i was hoping i would be able to get it fixed the next day.
Also for the last couple months my friend has been trying to sell his dirtbike and get a bigger one but couldnt. So sat we were taking his dirtbike and my wheel to the place and see how much they would give him for his bike,also to get my wheel fixed.i got my wheel fixed but ofcourse they were trying to give him less then what it was worth. He was trying to get his mom to buy him a bigger one butr she kept saying she didnt have the money. ok, after all that i got my bike fixed and he got a new one, and we went riding on sun.

Brandon (dollerboyz*) said...

The sprite with DRAKE commercial ethos and pathos, This was a commercial that i saw on t.v in the morning when i was watching a basketball game, i would say pathos, because his whole face falls apart when he drinks it and people says he looks like a monkey, Ethos, inpacted because some people like it and some people just was looking at it, and i would really say idk to this like whats the whole ponit of this it makes him fall apart

Ramona Jimenez said...

I use Ethos almost everyday of my life. I know this because whenever I talk to someone to open up, I try to relate to my life. I tell them that I have been through the same problems and I got over this way. I try to help them feel better as a person and as a friend. I try to make my friend's trust with me stronger.
Sometimes I use Pathos to make my mother and friends feel bad for not telling me things or allowing me to do something I want to do. I make sad faces and tell them the things I do for them but they barely do anything for me. Mainly my parents, I try with my mother all the time. I tell her how it's not fair that my brother did all this stuff at a even younger age but I can't even leave the house. It hurts me and I know it effects my mother as well. It makes her seem like I feel as if she doesn't love me as much and I treat her the best out of her three children.

BR said...

Ethos,pathos and logos

Many kids today use logos in the world today.when they try to get people mad bcause theysre mad at the world . Also when u went to go out at riday day night and your mom said no. In you keep asking her can u go. so logos mean how u feel about something and act near people

troy P. said...

The go green commercial because they were planting flowers in different communities witch shows ethos. Pathos because they show how the trees are dyeing and suffering witch mad the commercial sad and show us that we should change our ways. Also logos because they tell us why it is important to help them help the earth, and if we don’t they also tell us something’s that could happen

Hakim-ali.A said...

Well most of my weekend i was outsid or with my family. But this week i was at my nephew house, and we was play wrestling, and i punched him he started crying. And what that leaded up to was pathos.

Then one day my basketball coach said hakim I need you to start passing the ball because we need more passes. So then i started passing the ball and we started winning.

One day i was in the house watching t.v. and i saw this commercial about soda.She was shaking her body and swimming and stuff. Which this is logos.

nick parsons said...

Every day I see the logos, pathos, and ethos. They affect everyone’s decision making and ability to make the right choose. Well that all come from that persons point and it determine what you u will say and how you will act and perform. Like if I got home lat I would get yelled at and I would get his point. I’d try to understand but my uncle would probably say “why are you so late” I would replay with “I’m sorry I lost track of time”. I would hope that he believe my point and let me off the hook. He would probably say “ok you’re grounded” I would say “that’s not fare”. This never happened but I can make this up in my head. But this is not the only that this could affect and help as well any one’s mind could be changed. It all counts on what you say. Like a common quote is “hey I was once in your shoes too” or “it’s not that bad when the they are not even the person that has to go through with it. But you still do what they say. Words are strong it all counts on how u put them.

Lashawn Robertson said...

"Pathos" (Bullying In General)

This is displayed in reality which means in real life. Pathos is present because it's ashame seeing people being bullied. They have low self-esteem which makes them said and think less of themselves. That's sad, and the bullies should be ashame of themselves. Ethos is being present in this also.
The reason I said Ethos is present because put yourself in there shoes. Trust me you would feel sad, and discouraged. You would feel alone and have low self-esteem. I bet it's alot of people going through the same thing. Bullying goes on every single day. Logos is present because if your being bullied everyday it makes sense that its a chance your going to feel soome type of way whether it's sad, angry, and mad.
Ethos,Pathos, and Logos impacted this bullying situation because without those three I probably wouldn't have an explanation for this. I wouldn't even care about this issue. Pathos makes you feel a type of way over this issue the most. Because just imagine kids being bullied, called names and being beaten up on. Thats a terrible thing and feeling.

Keiara stay fly said...

“The comb incident”
My mother came in my room and asked me have I seen her favorite brush? She questioned me about it because she knows I always use it. I said “no, why would I use your brush if I have my own”? Then I explained to her that if did take her brush knowing that it was her favorite I would have put it back. I used ethos on my mother and she believed me.
The “Live above the influence “commercial
The boy is getting yelled by his father. The boy came home late, he lied, he was out all night partying, and he wrecked his mother’s car. His father explains how he’s disappointed at him. Then the boy’s friend walked in the garage and hands him his brain and says “you left this at the party last night”. This is pathos , the boy got emotional because if he was using his brain and thinking none of that would of happened.

Alex T said...

On saturday i went shopping with my mom at Burlington Center mall because i needed a black suit for a wedding im going to next week. And the clergyman used logos on us an offer that if we buy 2 suits and 2 pair of shoes for $125 and then he told us that we can buy 3suits 3shoes 3shirts and 3ties for $275 good deal.

~Zakiyya~ said...

On the movie the hangover they used pathos,ethos and logos. They used pathos when Phi, Dr. Stuart Alan found the baby in the closet. The 3 friends trust that they would have to find there other friend doug before the wedding start.When they remember he was in the roof.